Thursday, June 27, 2013

Sweet Potato Bacon Biscuits

Sweet potatoes are delicious. I really can't believe I hardly ever ate them before going Paleo, because they are so good! We used to just microwave sweet potatoes, until I had read something about how much better and sweeter they were if you cooked them in oven. And they were NOT joking!

So the thing that would make this recipe the easiest is if you already had some baked sweet potatoes on hand. We always seem to have a few cooked off in the fridge, but if not, you can whip some up very easily first! This an awesome breakfast dish, or even for a snack or dinner side. I really enjoy them, although usually I have to fight my boyfriend off before he eats the whole batch!

I think these kind of remind me of the biscuits from Red Lobster, which is my younger sister's favorite restaurant of all time. So I made these for her when she came to visit us in Texas, and she liked them too! Not quite exactly Cheddar Bay Biscuits, but hey---they're still delicious!

Ingredients
1) 1 pound of baked sweet potatoes (this was about 4 smallish sized ones)
2) 6-8 oz of bacon, diced (this is equivalent to 6-8 slices, I just had bacon ends so I had to weigh it instead to give you an idea) ---you will be using the bacon grease you produce to add to the mixture in this
3) 2 eggs
4) 2 tablespoons coconut flour
5) 1 teaspoon baking powder
Extra) I added a few TBSP of garlic powder to these today and it was greatly appreciated! You could probably even add shredded cheddar cheese to make it more like Red Lobster. YUM!

Instructions
1) First, you need to make your sweet potatoes if you haven't already.  Take some raw potatoes and poke holes or mark an "x" on the top of them. Put on a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone pad. Cook for 45-60 minutes until bubbling out of the holes and fork tender. Let these cool.
2) Peel your sweet potatoes if you want a smoother batter (and then feed the skins to your dog because she will LOVE them, see picture below...)
3) Dice up your bacon and add to a pan on medium heat. Cook up the bacon until semi-crispy (or to your liking), and it should release a few TBSP of bacon grease.
4) In the mean time, mash up your sweet potatoes, and then add the eggs, coconut flour and baking powder, mixing until relatively smooth.
5) Once the bacon is done cooking, add the whole pan (bacon and grease) to the biscuit mixture, and mix.
6) Add your spices at this time if you want to add any.
7) Scoop these into balls and place on a lined baking pan, flatten to make them all the same thickness.
8) Cook at 375 degrees for 23-30 minutes, until done.

Peeled, cooked sweet potatoes, ready for mixing!

Yummy Bacon!

Biscuits ready for the oven

......And EAT!
My name is Piper and I LOOOOOVE sweet potato skins!!


No comments:

Post a Comment