Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Sausage & Kale Acorn Squash Stew

This recipe is dedicated to my good friend Shannon, who somehow hates sweet potatoes. It's ok, I still love her even if she is missing out on nature's delicious tuber! She has blessed off on this recipe, so you know it must be good! 

So this recipe is sort of a remake of my chicken and kale stew, but in order to eliminate the sweet potatoes, I added in cut up acorn squash instead for the starch, and subbed chicken for delicious ground sausage! And success! I have made a few things that turned out "OK" and I don't put on my blog, and I was a little nervous about this one. But it turned out awesome and me and the boyfriend actually really enjoyed it! 

Ingredients
1) 2 pounds of ground sausage (or ground pork) -- you can sub another meat if you want but the ground sausage has spices in it which helped with the overall flavor. Your call!
2) 2 acorn squash - peeled and diced
3) 3 green peppers, diced
4) 3 onions, diced
5) 1 package (3-4 cups) of baby kale (or regular kale, and then just run a knife through it)
Extra: 2 cups of chicken stock or water to make this more soup-like. I added the chicken stock and I am glad I did!

Instructions
Get our your slow cooker!

1) Heat up a large skillet over medium heat and add in your sausage.  
                                                  
2) Once the sausage has released some oil and is at least half way cooked, add in your diced onions. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the onions are translucent.
3) In the mean time, chop up your green peppers and acorn squash. Add them to the slow cooker, along with the chicken stock/water if using it.
4) Once the sausage and onions are cooked partially, add them to the slow cooker as well, and mix to incorporate everything.
5) Cook on low for 8 hours.
6) 30 minutes before serving, stir in your kale and cook an additional 30 minutes of low to wilt the greens.
7) Serve it up and enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment