Friday, October 25, 2013

Slow-cooker Roasted Sweet Pepper Chicken Stew

Me and my slow cooker are best buds, which explains why 50% of my recipes have the word "stew" in the title! It's just so nice to throw a bunch of ingredients in, go about your day, and come back to a delicious meal! Between my slow cooker and my food processor, I would probably give up everything else in my kitchen to keep those two items. Life savers!

This recipe was inspired by a large jar of roasted sweet peppers that I picked up at Costco the other day. I love roasted peppers, and I am always happy to use a more milder pepper when I slow cook so the heat isn't too crazy. I've made at least two slow cooker meals in the last month that have been so spicy that we barely were able to salvage them. One of them we complete lost because one bite and my mouth was so on fire that I couldn't even taste anymore. Whoops! I blame that one on my love of curry and my dislike of actual measuring spoons.

So when I picked up this lovely large jar of roasted peppers, I knew I could make a delicious puree and use it as a sauce for some slow-cooker shredded chicken. Serve this over some cauliflower rice, regular rice (if you eat it), or even over some other vegetable of your choosing! I served mine over some leftover brussel sprout slaw and it was delicious and nutritious!

Does anyone else love the Biggest Loser? It's premiered last week and I am super excited! Not sure why, but that show is just one of my favorites and I cry so often watching it! Now I can cry, and then comfort myself with some sweet pepper chicken!

Ingredients
1) 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken (I used thighs, you can use breasts too)
2) 2 cans (about 30 oz) of diced tomatoes
3) 2 onions, diced
4) 2 cups of roasted peppers (make sure they are sweet peppers, which they should be)
5) Optional: 1/2 cup of diced green chilis for a little heat

Instructions
1) Pull out your slow cooker and add in your chicken. No need to cut up: it'll get shredded at the end.
2) Using your food processor or a blender, add in your 2 cups of peppers and puree until smooth.

3) Add in your onions, diced tomatoes (and diced green chilis if using) to the slow cooker.
4) Add in your pureed sweet peppers.
5) Mix everything together, and cook on low for 8-10 hours. (I cooked for 10 hours before I don't like my onions to have any crunch left at all).
6) After the cooking is done, use two forks to carefully shred the chicken. Mix everything together, and serve this alone, over rice, or over another vegetable. Eat up!




No comments:

Post a Comment